Laptops are highly efficient to carry out our personal and professional tasks. They are preferred over PCs for their portability and travel-friendly nature. Laptops serve as a super great device for flexibility. You can take it anywhere you go. When it comes to carrying out some intense tasks, we may require more than one screen to complete our works faster and smoother with full productivity.
Advantages of using a laptop as a monitor
Using your laptop as a monitor comes with numerous advantages. Some of them include:
Increased productivity on personal & professional fronts
You can carry out your tasks more efficiently using an additional monitor. In a single monitor, you will be forced to toggle between multiple tabs, which at times can get frustrating. When there is an additional monitor, you can finish tasks faster with greater efficiency & productivity.
Saves time & decreases stress
When you use your laptop as a monitor, there will not be any necessity to toggle between numerous tabs. This will reduce your screen time and stress. In lesser time, you can complete all your tasks with better productivity.
How To Use Laptop As A Monitor?
For the above-mentioned purposes, you can very well use your laptop as a monitor. In this article, we will describe the three ways to do this.
- You can use your laptop as a monitor on Windows
- You can use your laptop as a monitor on macOS
- You can use your laptop as a monitor for a desktop PC
Using laptop as a monitor on Windows
To use your laptop as a monitor on Windows, follow the below steps:
- Check the bottom of your screen. Go to your taskbar’s left end and Click the ‘Start’ button. You can also click the Windows key for the main menu to appear.
- Now, check the left side of the menu. You will find the Settings icon. Click the settings icon. This will make the settings menu appear.
- From the menu’s top left corner, press the Display button.
- Make sure your display cable is plugged in properly. You could see the rectangles (numbered) under the ‘Select and rearrange displays. This denotes the existing displays and the connected displays. If some of you cannot see the above option, check your cable connection again to see if it is plugged incorrectly. No results? Then, press the ‘Detect’ option to allow your device to hunt for the display. This might yield some results.
- You can now select ‘Extend these displays’ from the ‘Multiple displays’ section.
- If you are not sure about the screen displayed in the ‘Select and rearrange displays’ section, you can press the ‘Identify’ option. You will see a number popping up on each & every display for easy identification. Rearrange of displays is also possible. This is achieved by dragging the displays to fit the placement you want to place it.
Using laptop as a monitor on macOS
- Check the top of your screen. Go to your taskbar’s left end and Click the Apple menu option
- From the menu, click the ‘System Preferences’ button. This will display the settings menu.
- From the bottom left corner, press the ‘Displays’ option. You will see a new window popping up.
- Ensure the proper plugging in of your display cable before the next step.
- Click the ‘Arrangement’ tab. At the menu’s top, this will appear as the 2nd option.
- Now, you can view the blue rectangles. These blue rectangles denote your existing & connected displays. If you didn’t know, the main display is the display with the white tab on the top.
- The Mirror Displays option should be unticked. If not, make it untick.
- You can drag the rectangles to the placement you wish to rearrange the displays. The menu bar can be relocated by dragging it. This will change the primary display.
Using laptop as a monitor/screen for desktop PC
Follow the below steps to set up your laptop as a monitor or screen for your desktop PC:
- Go to the taskbar’s left end on your Windows laptop. You can see this on the extreme bottom of the screen. Click the ‘Start’ option. You can also click the ‘Windows key’ for the main menu to appear.
- From the menu’s left side, press the settings icon. This will help the settings menu to appear.
- Now, press the ‘Projecting to this PC’ button. If you can’t find it, check it again. It will be the 10th option from the top of the menu.
- Make sure the laptop and the desktop PC are connected. Now, check on the first drop-down menu. If it is in ‘Always off’, change it to ‘Available everywhere on secure networks’.
- Setting up a PIN for pairing also can be done. When you set up a PIN for pairing, enable ‘Ask to project to this PC every time a connection is requested.
- From the desktop PC’s screen, click the ‘Action Center’ icon. This can be found on the screen’s bottom right corner. Now, press ‘Connect’. You should wait patiently for the laptop to show on the screen. If you see the laptop popping up on the screen, select it right away.
- Now, go to your laptop and check the connection request. Accept the request. If you had set up a PIN while pairing the desktop PC and laptop, type the PIN now.
- You can select the ‘Desktop settings’ option now after right clicking on the desktop. Now, open the display menu to click on the ‘Extend desktop to this display’ option.
- Rearranging of displays can be done now. Drag the display to the desired position for rearranging.
Using your laptop as a monitor does not just increases productivity, save time and decreases stress, but also saves cost. You don’t have to buy a separate device to carry out your activities. With the existing laptop, all your works are done faster and finer!