Sooner or later, the power of our beloved laptop begins to be lacking. It’s a natural process. Minor flaws that didn’t catch our eye after the purchase, thoroughly spoil our nerves.
Have you ever heard that laptops are modular structures? The matter of the deal is that you can replace some components in your laptop, and it will become like new again!
You can think it’s too difficult and requires specific skills. Even if no one familiar with you did it, you can show them a high class!
After reading this article, you’ll see it’s not that hard indeed to choose an upgradeable laptop and maintain it in an excellent state for years! The market is saturated with offers that allow you to upgrade your laptop.
In this article, we’ll show you the best upgradeable laptops and their features. You’ll see the best laptops for an upgrade with a cost of just $595, and enjoy reading about customizable laptops for over $3,000. Any budget is ok for buying an upgradeable laptop and keeping it up-to-date for a long time!
- Tips for selection of the best upgradeable laptop
- Best Upgradeable Laptops (Modular Picks) of 2022
- 1. Dell XPS 15 9500 – Editor’s Choice
- 2. Alienware Area 51M Gaming Laptop – People’s Choice
- 3. Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop – Best Upgradeable Laptop For A Reason
- 4. 2019 Lenovo Legion Y540 – Best Performer
- 5. Latest Dell Inspiron 15 5000 – Perfection All Around
- 6. Microsoft Surface Pro X – Known For A Reason
- 7. Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop – People’s Trust
- 8. ASUS TUF VR Ready Gaming Laptop – Perfect Modular Laptop For Gaming
- 9. Samsung Chromebook 3 – Freshly Updated Budget Friendly Upgradeable Laptop
- 10. HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0030nr
- 11. OEM Lenovo ThinkPad T490 – Top Rated Modular Laptop
- Things To Look After In The Best Upgradeable Modular Laptops
- Design matters
- I love my laptop. It reciprocates my feeling
- I let my laptop breathe!
- I protect my laptop from viruses!
- The most common mistakes and misconceptions
- I can upgrade my laptop always
- Core i7? Give me two!
- Expensive = productive?
- I want an upgradeable, inexpensive, quiet, and compact gaming laptop!
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Tips for selection of the best upgradeable laptop
Replacing several laptop components will help you avoid buying a new and expensive one. But you can’t put any new part in the place of an outdated one, just as you can’t screw a wheel from a Range Rover to a Nissan Leaf.
The specification of the motherboard imposes certain restrictions. For example, you should select a processor from the socket to which your motherboard belongs. The main requirement for RAM modules and a hard disk is compatibility with the motherboard. In the vast majority of cases, it will not be possible to update the video card, since it’s integrated into the motherboard in laptops.
Before you start choosing accessories for your laptop, find the technical characteristics of your model in the purchase documents or on the manufacturer’s website. There are also special programs that show information about the laptop hardware.
And of course, before you disassemble the laptop, you should understand which components of the laptop cause its poor performance.
Let’s sort out the possible reasons and things which we can do.
This is a very important nuance when choosing a laptop. Your device will be stupid or not depends on the amount of “RAM”. I have 32 GB on my working laptop, this is enough for any task.
If you need a laptop just for work, then you should not even focus on the video card, the built-in one is enough.
Do you want to play with toys, install programs with graphics? You also need a video card module.
If your laptop slows down only in cases when many programs are running at the same time, or when opening large files, it doesn’t have enough RAM. As a result, the operating system has to continuously save data on the hard disk and then read from it. All this greatly slows down the laptop.
In this case, installing additional and replacing old RAM modules will help.
I again prefer Nvidia. My heart doesn’t lie to AMD in any way.
But the memory on the video card should be at least 8 GB in this case. 4 GB is neither there nor here. It doesn’t bring much benefit.
I guess RAM 8 GB is enough for work, Photoshop on my other laptop works with brakes, games are not particularly pulling. For modern games, the minimum amount of RAM is 16 GB.
- Hard drive
Great attention we should pay to the drive. Now almost all laptops come with a built-in SSD drive. And, it’s super! Without an SSD in our time, it’s not even worth watching a laptop. With this drive, your laptop runs faster!
If it takes more than two or three minutes for your laptop to load the OS, first you can audit the installed programs and remove unnecessary ones from the Autorun list. If this does not help, the problem may lie in the hard disk itself.
The solution to this problem can be an SSD drive.
If there is both an SSD and an HDD, this is an ideal option. In this case, a 120 GB SSD will be enough for normal tasks. For games and powerful programs, we look at 250 GB or more.
The processor is one of the most important parameters for choosing a laptop. If you need a laptop for games, or heavy editing programs, photo processing (Adobe Premier, Photoshop), then the processor slower than Intel Core i5 of the latest generation is not even worth taking into account.
The fact that the laptop processor is outdated, you will feel delays during the operation of the system and when playing video files in high resolution.
Before deciding between replacing the processor in a laptop, you should find out on the official website of the manufacturer the type of socket and the maximum power consumption level of your CPU. These parameters of the new processor must necessarily be identical to those of the old component!
I am skeptical about other processors but of Intel and AMD, I have rarely encountered any other brands. I prefer Intel. For office tasks, Intel Core i5 is quite enough.
Best Upgradeable Laptops (Modular Picks) of 2022
1. Dell XPS 15 9500 – Editor’s Choice
The Dell XPS 15 9500 series are carefully designed laptops from Dell. The case materials, screen, components, keyboard, touchpad – everything in the Dell XPS 15 is designed to give you the maximum level of comfort for productive work and pleasant entertainment.
Orientation on demanding professionals
You will get a combination of an indescribable style coupled with performance. The users of the laptop aren’t only top managers or graphical designers.
This is one of the best laptops to upgrade with the Windows operating system on the market. It will suit you if you need a high-performance solution with excellent battery life and an elegant design.
For a size of 15.6 inches, the resolution is an incredible 4K (3840 x 2400 pixels).
The screen is perfect for working with photos, as it has a coverage of 100% Adobe RGB.
This model is among laptops with upgradeable CPUs. The processor plays the most significant part in the calculation process. Everything we do with computer graphics, every time we build a house in a virtual game world or have the battle to save the universe, requires a powerful CPU.
Though processors don’t become obsolete quickly, software and games are updated even faster. This eternal race won’t ever stop.
So, having the ability to upgrade the CPU in your laptop to a new one is an amazing feature!
- High-performance graphics card Nvidia 1650 Ti with 4 GB of memory onboard
- High-speed solid-state drive with a capacity of 1 TB
- Network units Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2×2) and Bluetooth 5
- Four powerful speakers – two of low-frequency power of 2.5 W and two of high-frequency power of 1.5 W. You can hear any nuance of your favorite compositions with the total maximum output power of 8 W
- You will enjoy a nice webcam with a resolution of 720p at 30 frames per second
- Pleasurable full-size backlit keyboard
- You can upgrade its CPU by choosing one of a variety
- Brand: Dell
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor Type: Intel Core i7-10750H
- Screen Size: 15.6 Inches
- RAM: 32 GB
- Thin body made of brushed aluminum
- Large touchpad with gesture control
- Ultra resolution of the screen will allow you to see all the details of your favorite games
- A high-performance video card will saturate the picture with the smallest details
- Incredible speed of loading the system and games
- Windows Hello face recognition and fingerprint scanner
- Weight of a laptop is 2.5 kg. It’s rather heavy though it’s typical for a high-performance device
2. Alienware Area 51M Gaming Laptop – People’s Choice
Dell has introduced a new gaming laptop Area-51m Gaming Laptop as part of the Alienware brand. Today it is one of the most powerful and best customizable laptops on the market. It’s thanks to the use of Intel desktop processors of the 10th generation and the latest video cards from Nvidia and AMD.
Sometimes we need to store a lot of information on a laptop. Those who work with graphical data, simulations, and calculations know it from their experience. Computer games also take much space on drives.
Fortunately, this laptop provides us a unique feature to expand the data space through special technology – the RAID array.
It means, we can mantle up to 4 SSD drives in one laptop and turn it into a small supercomputer! If that ain’t upgrade, what is?
Cybersport is a recognizable sport of playing computer games. It might become an Olympic sport soon! So, when we fight monsters, we contribute to the cybersport promotion!
What do we need for computer games at most? Of course, video card!
You can rarely meet a laptop with an upgradeable video card. It’s embedded into a motherboard, and can’t be changed as a rule.
Luckily, this option is a laptop with an upgradeable GPU. I would say, it’s one of the best modular laptops on the market.
All users of this laptop note all the magnificent design. The developers have provided everything – case and keyboard illumination, ergonomic keyboard, secure fastening of the laptop screen, elegantly raised corners of the screen, and many other things. We hardly can find such a product on the market. Your heart obviously won’t be able to stay indifferent.
- High-speed screen with a frequency of 300 Hz and a response time of 3 ms
- 2070 SUPER 8 GB discrete graphics card can allow you to implement any of the most daring scenarios
- Large high-speed drive NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1 Tb
- Two 70 mm fans for cooling five copper heat pipes of the radiator
- High memory frequency of 3200 MHz
- Brand: Alienware
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home
- Processor Type: Intel Core i7 10700K
- Screen Size: 17.3 inch
- RAM: 16 GB
- Desktop hardware that allows you to achieve extreme performance
- Large screen of 17 inches
- High-speed Ethernet 2.5 Gbit/s, which is 2.5 times more than conventional laptops
- You can quickly play on a laptop due to a special high-speed keyboard
- Battery of 90 Wh
- It is one of the rare models where you can upgrade a video card
- The resolution of the FullHD 1920 x 1080 screen compensates for its high frequency
- The laptop weighs 4.7 kg, which implies its use mainly instead of a stationary computer
3. Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop – Best Upgradeable Laptop For A Reason
The Nitro 5 series belongs to the mass line of Acer gaming laptops. You can be sure that it is assembled according to a classic, time-tested formula: a moderately productive platform and advanced cooling, packed in an acceptable weight case.
You can easily upgrade this laptop by adding memory (DDR4 standard), or a new drive with a SATA connection interface.
Maybe you’ll be interested in connecting an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the laptop.
The design of the Nitro 5 has a recognizable look. On the top cover, there is a decorative relief on the bevels of the surface along the edges, and on the end face, there is a red metal insert that fits well in combination with the main dark gray shade of the case and adds a little aggressiveness to the laptop.
Most of the panels are made of a metal alloy. The exception is the lower cover and the frame of the display border. The laptop chassis turned out to be quite rigid, because of which there are no backlashes or significant deflections of the panels.
There are a large number of holes in the lower part of the case, which will be a plus for the efficiency of the cooling system.
It’s a very attractive feature for those who use their laptop in hot temperatures outside or load it with heavy calculation tasks.
For me, Acer’s laptops have always been among the most reliable.
Acer refused to use different types of processors. Now all processors, from top-end to budget, are produced on the same production line. This allowed the company to focus on its fault tolerance.
That’s why this laptop is famous for its reliability.
- The optimal for 2019 combination of FullHD monitor performance with a not-so-weak graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB and an Intel Core i5 9th Generation processor
- Extensive upgrade opportunities with an increase in both RAM and hard disk
- Full-size keyboard with a wide left shift, which avid players will appreciate indeed
- The presence of a dedicated NitroSenseKey button, which is responsible for launching the Acer NitroSense proprietary utility, which was the first to appear in the top series of Acer Predator gaming laptops.
- Brand: Acer
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home
- Processor Type: Intel Core i5-9300H
- Screen Size: 15.6 inches Full HD
- RAM: 8 GB
- Stylish recognizable laptop design
- A balanced set of technical characteristics with wide possibilities for upgrading
- The power of the built-in video card is comparable to the desktop, which fully reveals its capabilities
- Efficient cooling system with two main radiators, as well as with additional cooling for SSD
- Long battery life will allow you to enjoy your laptop on long trips
- A very wide range of laptops that requires careful selection, but allows you to purchase the optimal laptop of your dreams
- Low color coverage of 58.8% of the sRGB color space, allows us to recommend this laptop for working in office programs and for games
4. 2019 Lenovo Legion Y540 – Best Performer
This elegant upgradeable laptop can allow you to play with a perfect strict design. It is equipped with high-performance components that will give you significant advantages in the game. The Lenovo Legion Y540 gaming laptop has a full-size keyboard with a white backlight, as well as the most efficient and quiet cooling system. Thanks to this, you can join the game anywhere and at any time, even after a meeting.
When upgrading a laptop, you must take into account the status of the component, reflected in the documentation.
The company classifies components into two categories-FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) and CRU (Customer Replaceable Unit). The first group assumes that the components can only be upgraded by a certified specialist, a partner of Lenovo.
A component with the CRU service type can be installed by the end-user with one condition. Such a component must be purchased or received through official Lenovo channels. Buying memory on eBay will not be certified, which means that you will not be able to install it without losing the warranty.
If you change a component of the FRU category yourself, you will lose the guarantee in 100% of cases.
A popular upgrade for this laptop is to buy a high-capacity battery. You are able to install the battery in the hard drive compartment if you switch to an external SSD.
You can also change the display matrix to a matrix with a higher resolution.
This case is made of durable plastic. It’s quite strong and resists twisting well, the lid is more pliable. It bends quite noticeably when opened with one hand. In pursuit of thin frames, Lenovo forgot about the webcam. So they put it to the lower frame under the display. Due to this location, during video calls, you will show everyone your beautiful nostrils. Though I’m not afraid, every part of mine is worthy attention)
This laptop is one of the most compact laptops among the competitors’ models. You can hardly find an analog, which is smaller in some dimensions. As a result, the laptop is in the top position in the light laptop’s list.
Most of the ports are assembled on the back of the laptop. Due to this arrangement, the connected cables won’t get in the way under your hands. Modern devices can be connected via USB Type-C, and HDMI 2.0 is provided for displaying images to an external projector/display. As in most modern laptops, this laptop doesn’t have a card reader.
- Strict design that will not betray you as a gambler
- White illumination of black keys will emphasize your status
- High performance is guaranteed by the Intel i7 processor with 6 cores
- Many applications will feel comfortable with 24 GB of RAM
- You will like the combination of high boot speed from an SSD drive and an additional 1 Tb hard drive for storing serious projects
- The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB gaming video card will allow you to enjoy games on medium and high settings after a working day
- Brand: Lenovo
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor Type: Intel Hexa-Core i7-9750H
- Screen Size: 15.6 Inches
- RAM: 24 GB
- Built-in NVIDIA 1650 4GB video card, which allows you to run games on medium and high settings, depending on the year of release of the game
- A huge amount of 24 GB RAM will allow you not to think about closing the application since everyone will enter
- Two hard drives, the first high-speed SSD for booting, the second for data storage
- 720p camera, which will allow you to hold a meeting with maximum detail
- A strict design of a black keyboard with a white backlight will make you look like a serious person
- Really good cooling
- For ultra-productive games, it is advisable to choose a configuration with a more powerful video card
5. Latest Dell Inspiron 15 5000 – Perfection All Around
I like this laptop enclosed in a case. Various models of the Dell Inspiron line have used this kind of case for several years. Therefore, it is not surprising that he looks tired. It is thick, heavy, with wide frames around the display. On the other hand, all of the above takes a back seat after evaluating performance, autonomy, and configuration.
You can change the drive and RAM in Inspiron by simply unscrewing a couple of screws in a special section at the bottom of the laptop.
A separate section at the bottom of the laptop simplifies access to RAM and the drive.
It’s easy to insert new components even at home.
Connectors, connecting devices
Unlike many business-class models, this laptop lacks a fingerprint scanner. But it is endowed with a much more useful extra USB port for the average user, although it is of the USB 2.0 standard.
USB connectors are located on both sides. There is a pull-out tray of the DVD-RW drive and a Kensington Lock.
The keyboard is probably the main advantage of this model. The keys are large, with a good and clear stroke. Their location is at an impressive distance from each other. Fingers don’t slip. There are no accidental clicks. In addition, Dell engineers, despite the small width of the case, managed to place a full-fledged Num Pad. True, it turned out to be pressed against the main part of the keyboard, but for the popular series among accountants, the very fact of its presence is an absolute plus. Large additional keys are also a plus.
The laptop received the original wireless module, which combines a Wi-Fi adapter and Bluetooth adapter. Not the latest solution in terms of Wi-Fi, but it is quite sufficient for most users. I didn’t notice any shortcomings in the operation of the module.
- A modern Intel i5 10th generation processor will allow you not to notice pauses between opening applications
- A 15.6-inch FullHD monitor will display the smallest details of running programs
- A high-speed 256 Gb SSD drive quickly counts the necessary programs, since it has an M. 2 PCIe NVMe interface
- The graphics are presented in the form of a video card built into the processor, which will ensure optimal operation of office programs
- It’s important for me that a built-in fingerprint scanner protects my privacy/ It can be important if your data is of special value
- Brand: Dell
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor Type: Intel Core i5-1035G1
- Screen Size: 15.6 Inches
- RAM: 8 GB
- The presence of a fast Intel Core i5 processor together with a fast NVMe SSD drive of 256 Gb allows you to feel at the crest of speed
- The ability to upgrade and add up to 16 GB of RAM and put a 512 Gb hard SSD drive
- Separate standard unit of NumPad
- Data protection with a fingerprint
- For games, I would desire to have a more productive video card
6. Microsoft Surface Pro X – Known For A Reason
The device represents Microsoft’s attempt to enter the mobile device market. On the one hand, software developers need a computer that they can focus on, on which they will adapt their solutions. On the other hand, it is important for Microsoft to show its commitment to ARM processors, to spur interest in them from partners. I can’t judge whether the second will work, but it seems to me that there will be ARM devices in the Surface line from now on. I would say, this is a new chapter for Surface, and it can be very interesting for you too.
Microsoft does not allow upgrading RAM on еру laptop; the chips are soldered on the motherboard. However, on a laptop, you can improve the SSD, USB ports, Surface Connect, and battery. However, to upgrade the battery, you will have to disassemble almost the entire laptop.
The most popular direction of upgrading a laptop is the purchase of a new keyboard.
You will have to buy a keyboard for this laptop separately. And this is important for comparing the cost of the device with others. So, a regular keyboard costs $ 140 (do not forget about taxes, which differ from state to state). A full-size keyboard with a large trackpad is very convenient and the keystroke is excellent.
Slim Pen Stylus
For those who draw, like to make notes while working on files, scribble on graphs and sheets of reports, the presence of a stylus is important. For everyone else, the stylus can be easily forgotten and abandoned. You’ll get enough of it in the first week. Therefore, depending on this, look at what kind of keyboard you will purchase.
Interestingly, the Pro X used M. 2 2230 NVMe memory. The slot is available in the same place as the SIM card slot. This is not the most popular SSD format. Anyway, you can buy this memory and replace it, which makes it possible for an upgrade.
- Touch screen display of 2800×1920 pixels
- Spectacular design and maximum mobility in one device. A nice combination!
- Face recognition Windows Hello
- The presence of two cameras, 5 MP front and 10 MP main
- Dolby Audio Premium sound-two speakers with a total power of 2 W
- Microsoft Pen support allows the stylus to draw on the screen as on a graphics tablet
- Brand: Microsoft
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home
- Processor Type: Microsoft SQ1
- Screen Size: 13 inches
- RAM: 8 GB
- I like that the laptop’s charger is of a standard USB Type-C port
- Availability of LTE for Internet access in addition to Wi-Fi
- Long battery life
- The ability to transform and work in both laptop and tablet mode
- Spectacular design
- I should note that despite the Windows 10 operating system, not all applications are still adapted to the mobile processor, so they will run in the emulator mode
- Many games, which I tried, don’t work, as they need to be adapted to a new processor and operating system
7. Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop – People’s Trust
This model is a universal laptop designed for office work or use as an entry-level multimedia device.
Lucky are the owners of laptops with Ryzen! They can upgrade their CPU even without buying a new one!
It’s possible just to make it colder by lowering the heat package and limiting the power supply.
The temperature of the processor directly affects the service life of the device, as well as performance and silence. Here there is a wonderful officially provided controller, in which you can limit the TDP, overclock the built-in graphics or set a temperature limit just in a couple of clicks. The options are applied immediately. The result is available instantly – you do not have to restart the computer.
Improved CPU and GPU heat sink
You can disassemble, clean, and replace the thermal paste for the processor heat sink.
Imagine that you start the laptop. The cooler immediately starts working at the limit, as if you started a “heavy” program. The processor temperature rises to the limit of 80*C and above. This indicates that the cooling system is not coping. In addition, there is a decrease in the frequency of the core of the integrated video card. As mentioned earlier, the problem is especially acute when watching videos in Full HD. Another manifestation of overheating is an unexpected shutdown of the laptop.
You can increase the speed of operation and loading of the device. This can be achieved by connecting an SSD disk with the subsequent installation of the operating system on it. It’ll increase the volume of available RAM.
You can improve the overall performance of your laptop by replacing the processor with a new model with a higher frequency and more cores, which will support hyper-threads and turbo-boost. All these updates with an increased amount of cache memory are guaranteed to increase the speed of the device.
A useful upgrade for a laptop user will be the replacement of an outdated wi-fi module with a new one, but with Bluetooth support. This will get rid of the extra adapter in the USB slot and free up space for another more important device.
- Quad-core AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor provides good performance
- The AMD Vega 8 laptop video card will allow you to play at minimal settings
- Fast SSD m hard drive.2 NVMe at 256 GB will provide fast loading and excellent response time
- Two microphones and a 720p web camera provide excellent communication at meetings and online lectures
- Optimal weight of 1.8 kg
- Brand: Acer
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home
- Processor Type: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
- Screen Size: 15.6 Inches
- RAM: 8 GB
- Optimal balance of productivity and price, shifted to the corporate sector and training
- The ability to play after the meeting on the minimum and average settings, depending on the complexity of the games
- Good color reproduction of the IPS matrix
- The ability to add a RAM module will allow you to use a two-channel model, which will improve performance
- Keyboard illumination
- You need a good cooling through the stand to play without throttling
8. ASUS TUF VR Ready Gaming Laptop – Perfect Modular Laptop For Gaming
The ASUS TUF product line stands out for its high-reliability requirements. The design of laptops is designed with an additional margin of reliability. In addition, it has outstanding characteristics of the hardware and small dimensions. Our version of the ASUS TUF is based on the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor, which in 2020 was one of the top processors among the mobile Ryzen 7. This CPU boasts 8 cores processing 16 threads, at Boost frequencies up to 4.2 GHz. 8 GB of fast DDR4-2666 memory and a 512 Gb NVMe high-speed drive are installed. GeForce RTX 2060 with ray tracing support is responsible for the graphics. It uses a 15.6-inch screen on an IPS matrix with a high refresh rate of 144 Hz.
You can upgrade the video card but only in a specialized service center. For that, they will solder the old one and install a new one, and refresh BIOS firmware.
You can add RAM and increase the capacity of the hard disk.
You will be fully satisfied if you change the thermoplastic under the CPU which will improve the cooling system.
Computer Graphics Handling
Thanks to a special hardware encoder, this laptop will provide high-quality broadcasts on Twitch, without loss of performance. It will be useful for anyone who is engaged in creating content. The laptop reveals maximum performance and stability of more than forty content creation applications, including Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, and more.
If you create video content for YouTube or Tiktok – this is your choice!
Best Gift for a Gamer
You will smile! This laptop is in the Top-10 best Christmas gifts for computer game players. Gamers use to connect VR glasses and helmets to the laptop, and start moving! The device is reliable and sustainable. It won’t kick you off in the middle of the hot battle.
Be careful with a CPU upgrade
In this model, the developers switched to a new form factor of processors. Now not every Asus laptop processor can be inserted here for an upgrade. You need to be careful when choosing an alternative when it’s time for an update.
- The top processor in 2020, which provides extreme performance
- High-performance graphics system NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 Gb allows you to play at maximum settings with a frequency of 144 Hz, synchronized with the monitor
- The 90 Wh battery is one of the most capacious for laptops
- high-speed SSD NVMe M.2 a 512 Gb disk will allow you not to think between opening the program and launching it
- DTS:X Ultra virtual surround sound system that provides good, loud, and clear sound.
- Brand: ASUS
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor Type: AMD Ryzen 7-4800H
- Screen Size: 15.6 Inches
- RAM: 8 GB
- The camera’s peephole is surrounded by two microphones that allow you to hear and see well
- RGB keyboard illumination
- Thoughtful cooling
- Excellent performance and high autonomy
- High screen frequency of 144Hz
- Color reproduction at the level of 60 % sRGB, which allows us to recommend the laptop more for games, and not for working with graphics or video content
9. Samsung Chromebook 3 – Freshly Updated Budget Friendly Upgradeable Laptop
Not everyone will require a high-end laptop. Some look for highly affordable laptops and also come with decent features to carry out basic academic or work-related activities. If you belong to this group, then Samsung Chromebook 3 is a perfect choice! The advantage of the Samsung Chromebook 3 is both the RAM and storage are upgradeable, which is a quite rare feature to spot among Chromebooks.
From the default storage, the Samsung Chromebook 3 comes with; you can upgrade it to your desired amount of storage.
Samsung Chromebook 3 is a perfect choice for people who travel regularly and require a laptop to perform basic tasks. The Chromebook comes with sturdy and strong construction to resist harsh handles. The keyboard of the Samsung Chromebook 3 is water-resistant. So, you don’t have to worry if you accidentally spill some drops of water on the keyboard while typing. The Chromebook also weighs just 2.54 pounds, making it extremely comfortable for travel purposes. It is therefore a perfect laptop for everyday use.
The next attractive feature of the Samsung Chromebook 3 is its long battery life. With just a single charge, you can keep working from morning till night without searching for plug points near you. You can expect about 10 to 11 hours of battery life for basic activities. The Chromebook is designed for the long run, so the battery life will not fade away in a few months. You can expect long battery life of at least 3 years from the date of your purchase.
Upgradeable RAM and Storage
Chromebooks are hardly Upgradeable, but not Samsung Chromebook 3. This one is different. It comes with Upgradeable RAM and Storage. By default, the Chromebook comes with 4 GB RAM and 16 GB eMMC storage capacity. This RAM and storage would be sufficient for people who indulge in basic activities. If you require higher RAM and storage, you can easily upgrade it. The Chromebook comes at an extremely affordable price. By purchasing it for a lower price and also upgrading the RAM and storage, you save quite some amount of money.
- Samsung Chromebook 3 comes with an 11.6-inch display that supports 1366 x 768 screen resolution
- Memory of 4 GB RAM and 16 GB eMMC storage capacity; both can be upgraded
- Long battery life of about 10 to 11 hours with just a single charge
- Slim design with just 2.54 pounds weight, therefore easily portable & travel-friendly
- Water-resistant keyboard with sturdily built and strong construction
- Uses Intel Celeron Processor N3060 with Intel HD Graphics 400 for decent performance
- Brand: Samsung
- Operating System: Chrome OS
- Processor Type: Intel Celeron N3060
- Screen Size: 11.6 Inches
- RAM: 4 GB
- Water-resistant keyboard with ergonomic design
- Decent performance at an affordable cost
- Long battery life with a single charge
- Lightweight and slim design supports frequent travels
- Upgradeable RAM and Storage
- Chrome OS comes with enhanced security features
- Laptop gets heated real quick
- RAM is suitable only for basic activities
10. HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0030nr
When we talk about modular and upgradable laptops, almost all gaming laptops will fall under this category by default. The HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15 is no exception, and is actually one of the best such kinds of laptops that you must consider buying! The laptop features some pretty powerful specs on itself which is great for lightweight gaming, but if you are a hardcore gamer you are bound to upgrade your laptop to better specs. Here’s a closer look at this HP laptop:
CPU, GPU, and Other Upgradable Specs
The laptop comes out into the markets running on the Intel Core i5 processor of the 8th Generation. While the latest processors are of the 11th gen, even the 8th gen processor is good enough to run a large number of lightweight games and sets the ball rolling for most casual gamers. The CPU can be upgraded if the need be, but most people rather prefer to upgrade other elements. The GPU that the laptop carries is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, which is a respectable name, though nowhere near the top-end GPUs that Nvidia makes. This is an upgradable element and gamers can put in an RTX 3060 or 3070 based on their needs.
Besides this, the laptop comes with 8GB RAM and 1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD storage, both of which can be increased and expanded upon based on the needs of the gamers. Having a large storage space makes sure that one can store and save all their favorite games in the laptop. The RAM isn’t really optimal for heavy-duty gaming and needs to be upgraded to 16 or 32GB to get things right.
Display and Connectivity Options
The laptop features a pretty good display – a 15.6-inch FHD IPS anti-glare micro-edge screen that offers a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and a refresh rate of 144Hz. All of these put together make it one of the best gaming laptops out there. This, however, is not a touchscreen laptop. Another good thing about the laptop is that it offers a battery life of about 10 hours when you use it for mixed purposes – browsing, streaming, and regular home tasks. When you use it for gaming, however, you’d notice that the battery takes a severe hit and doesn’t even last a whole 3 to 4 hours.
There’s a 3.5mm headphone/mic port, an RJ-45 LAN port, an HDMI 1.4 port, 3 x USB 3.1 ports, and one USB Type-C port present on the laptop, which make connectivity a breeze. The laptop runs on Windows 10 and is very likely to get upgraded to Windows 11 in the months to follow, though no official announcement has been made yet. Besides these features, you also have the latest standards of Bluetooth and WiFi that offer fast as well as smooth connectivity.
Gaming Focused Laptop
While this is one of the best upgradable and modular laptops out there, the key focus on the HP Pavilion Gaming laptop is, as the name suggests, on the gaming front. The laptop carries all the looks of a gaming device – carrying the ‘acid green’ backlight on the keyboard and even with a green HP logo on the back. It has got a lot of connectivity features too, which are needed in a gaming laptop. The laptop comes with a narrow bezel display as well, which gives the gamers a nice wide view of the game. The speakers are loud and the refresh rate of the screen is rather impressive. Lastly, this is a VR-compatible laptop and works well with Microsoft’s Mixed Reality headset.
Summing up, if you’re looking forward to buying a powerful multipurpose laptop which also happens to be modular and upgradable, you should give a serious thought to the HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop – which offers you the best of all these worlds!
- Powered by the Intel Core i5 (8th Gen) Processor
- Gaming laptop which carries the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 GPU
- 8GB RAM + 1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD storage trio
- Backlit keyboard with Acid Green lighting
Pros and Cons of HP Pavilion
- Upgradable laptop – ensures you always stay up to date
- Impressive battery life for a gaming laptop
- Supports VR and Windows Mixed Reality Headset
- Multiple connectivity avenues – USB ports, HDMI, etc.
- Carries a really good visual appeal
- The laptop tends to heat up upon prolonged hours of gaming
11. OEM Lenovo ThinkPad T490 – Top Rated Modular Laptop
The Lenovo ThinkPad T series is a recognizable representative of the line of 14-inch laptops among business leaders and students. It has high reliability and has in-demand functionality.
The model is equipped with a webcam and a microphone. Thanks to this, you can organize video conferences with business partners, take part in webinars and online lectures.
The graphics adapter is soldered on the motherboard. Therefore, it will not be possible to change it separately, only together with the entire fee. The price of such an upgrade would be comparable to buying a new laptop.
You can upgrade the processor. But first, you need to determine whether there is a real need for this. If the laptop is used for surfing the Internet and watching movies, there is no point in such an upgrade. The processor can be supplied with a maximum of i7-2640M. Compared to the existing one, the productivity will increase by ~10%.
Some craftsmen put Quad-core processors like i7-2720QM, etc. However, there will be problems with overheating and overloading the CPU power supply circuit on the motherboard.
It is also possible to install a faster Bluetooth 4.0 module instead of the standard 3.0. New modules can be purchased for just $8.
A truly incredible image
On the display of this laptop, you can enjoy increased brightness, improved contrast, color reproduction, and amazing details. In any configuration, the laptop is equipped with a new frame that increases the involved display area.
Easy to learn – easy in battle
You can use this laptop anywhere – from the Arctic wilderness to dust storms in the desert, from weightlessness to high humidity with the ingress of moisture and drops.
It has passed more than 200 quality checks necessary to ensure operation in extreme conditions!
If you are a news reporter or a traveling YouTube blogger you can rely on this laptop in any life situation. You can ski in the mountains or do any other extreme sports with the laptop working stable.
We are used to charging our devices every night, right? Working on laptops, we are to have a charger with us. Otherwise, it can abruptly turn off during an important project. And now imagine – this laptop provides you up to 16 hours of battery life!
Moreover, if the charge runs out, the battery can be recovered by 80 % in just an hour. While you are having lunch, your laptop will prepare for another 12-hours marathon. What else do you need for an active life?
- The small screen size of 14 inches and lightweight will allow you to carry your laptop with you to lectures and meetings without any problems
- High performance in office programs is provided due to the Intel 7 series processor, a huge amount of 24 GB RAM, and a high-speed NVMe 1 Tb disk
- The high resolution of the monitor 1920×1080 pixels will allow you to reflect the smallest details of your projects
- Low weight 1.57 kg
- Availability of all required connectors for connecting flashcards and memory cards
- Brand: Lenovo
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
- Processor Type: Intel Quad Core i7-8565U
- Screen Size: 14 Inches
- RAM: 24 GB
- Fast Intel 7 series processor
- A huge amount of 24 GB RAM, which will allow you to work with heavy applications
- Fast and large 1 Tb SSD drive
- The FullHD screen
- The lack of a discrete video card. However, it allows you to focus on solving serious business problems and training
Things To Look After In The Best Upgradeable Modular Laptops
- Operating System
Increasingly, networks are selling laptops without an operating system. To do this, I asked you at the beginning of the article to answer the question: “Will you be able to install an OS yourself?”
The choice of OS is small in fact: Windows, Linux, the rest, as a rule, are rarely considered.
If you think that you will install pirated Windows yourself, then your laptop will automatically fly off the warranty, take this fact into account.
I advise you to buy a laptop immediately with Windows installed, even if it is a little more expensive, but there are fewer problems.
If the temperature in the room or outside is above +25 C, you will feel how your laptop is heating up. Overheating often leads to freezes and even temporary disconnection of the device.
Therefore, fans of super-thin laptops should take into account that there is most likely no cooler in them. With the cooling of such devices, everything is not particularly good.
I advise you to take it with a cooler, it will last longer.
When purchasing for a long period, we want the thing to look modern even after 2-3 years. One of the trends of modern laptop design is a thin frame.
We all remember what a sensation phones with rounded edges made at the time. Laptops don’t offer this option yet.
Yes, the thinner the frame around the screen is, the newer the laptop looks.
- Dimensions and Weight
Our digital devices are trying to combine more and more functions. A laptop is a tool for work, a screen for watching movies, a platform for games, and an Internet access point for other devices. I want the combination of all these features not to affect the size and weight of the device!
At the same time, the laptop is good because it can be taken to work, study, on vacation, and just for a walk. Therefore, when choosing a device, pay attention to the weight and size of the laptop.
Can you put it in your backpack or folder? Take it with you on the plane? Go to the presentation in the conference hall of the business hall?
Choose a laptop “for your hand” and according to your weight preferences.
I love my laptop. It reciprocates my feeling
A laptop in the house often becomes the focus of our entire life. So imagine. You just brought a brand-new sparkling laptop from the store. How can you keep it like this for many years?
I let my laptop breathe!
The cleanliness of all its connectors is critical for our laptops. You won’t be able to easily change the keyboard after spilling coffee. The device is difficult to open and vacuum, as service centers do with ordinary PC.
I’ll never be tired to repeat my children not to pollute the laptop’s surfaces, even the side ones. Through slots, dust can penetrate directly into the working interior.
I protect my laptop from viruses!
In the last year and a half, we have understood by a virus exactly what it was original – a malicious infectious agent. Nevertheless, we shouldn’t ever forget that our digital devices are also defenseless against the aggressive environment on the Internet.
I always install an antivirus, don’t open files from unknown sources, visit only secure sites. Moreover, I’d like to recommend you install only licensed software. That’s how you can protect your laptop from most modern threats.
The most common mistakes and misconceptions
If after reading tips for selection and most important features, you still have many questions, it’s high time to read the FAQ section and avoid possible problems.
So, what are the main misunderstandings when we are talking about upgradeable laptops?
I can upgrade my laptop always
The upgrade is a great opportunity to keep your laptop working for many years. At the same time, the software is constantly evolving. Software developers are making increasingly high demands on hardware. A timely upgrade can help solve this problem for a while. However, the time will come when you will still be forced to buy a new laptop.
Choose a laptop with the maximum upgrade capabilities. These financial investments always pay off.
Core i7? Give me two!
Not everyone knows that the laptop hardware similar in name differs significantly in power.
What would you think if the inscription on the box reads: “Intel Core i7 10th generation”? Power! Take my money!
You need to read the fine print and find exactly which Soge i7 is there. For example, in the name of the i7U, the index “U” tells to the attentive reader that there is an energy-efficient processor in the device. He will not miss the stars from the sky.
If you need a really powerful laptop, look for the “H” index in the processor name.
Expensive = productive?
In the world of conventional PCs, there is a clear relationship between the price of components and their performance. In a laptop, there are a million more factors that determine its cost: the matrix, the touch screen, the case material, the brand in the end.
Therefore, buying a laptop even for 2000-2500 dollars rubles does not guarantee its high performance.
Please keep in mind! Today, the concept of ultrabook has somewhat devalued. This category includes any more or less thin laptop with a weight of less than 2 kg, without taking into account its technical characteristics.
I want an upgradeable, inexpensive, quiet, and compact gaming laptop!
Gaming Laptop… Once this phrase was just a joke. Nowadays, there are already many gaming laptops on the market. For a gaming model, cooling is one of the most important selection criteria.
An efficient cooling system can be quite noisy and requires more space. This explains the considerable size and weight of such devices. Therefore, the phrases “compact laptop” and “gaming laptop” are still mutually exclusive concepts.
Real gaming laptops are very large and expensive. You will not be able to carry it in a folder, it will work on the battery for a couple of hours at most.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Who are upgradable laptops good for?
Upgradable laptops are great for anyone who wishes to stay abreast with times. People who tend to use the same laptop for a long time might actually want to upgrade it to get more storage or more RAM, or to improve their processor. Gamers are another major user base who need to upgrade their laptop from time to time to get better graphics supported on the same laptop instead of buying a new gaming laptop which can set them back by thousands of dollars. Hence, upgrading your existing laptop makes better economical sense that way.
2. Is it ok to upgrade my laptop by myself or should I consult a technician?
Generally, we would recommend that you always take assistance from a technician to upgrade your laptop. This is because these are professionals who know exactly what they are doing and have years of experience in doing so. But if you feel comfortable enough in doing it by yourself, you can give it a shot too – just make sure you don’t end up upsetting other elements in the laptop. We’d recommend taking your laptop to an authorized service center of your laptop’s brand and getting them to do it as the safest bet, especially if your laptop is under warranty or an extended warranty.
3. What components of a laptop can be upgraded?
Generally speaking, the CPU, GPU, RAM, and Storage can be upgraded. Most people update their RAM and Storage from time to time to add more storage space or to get a better and faster RAM which will help them handle more programs at the same time. GPUs can be updated and gamers do it every few years to get the latest in visual technology. Other elements of a laptop such as the keyboard or the display cannot be upgraded as they remain fixed and firmly attached to the laptop.
4. Why do people upgrade their laptops?
People upgrade their laptops based on different needs. Some people are running out of space, others might be running out of memory. Then there are some people who are using the same laptop for years and it then begins to slow down and cause problems. Hence, the only solution for them (other than to buy a new laptop) is to upgrade their existing laptops with better storage and memory. These are largely some of the reasons as to why upgrades are important, however different users may have different reasons of their own for upgrading their laptops.
And here we are – reached the end of the article!
We often make long-term planning of our budget and can’t make expensive purchases every year.
Most of the users don’t plan to replace components with more productive ones. Now you know the architecture of modern modular laptops is quite flexible! The beauty of upgradeable laptops is that we can preserve their performance for as long as possible.
Perhaps, you are an experienced expert in computer technology and software. Maybe you are an active user. You can use the laptop for your own business, work, or entertainment. In any case, you are buying a laptop for a fairly long time.
Making the right choice is always an adventure and challenge! You have to read and analyze a lot. We hope that this article has helped you understand the modern range of the most upgradeable laptops.
However, if you are still confused about all these characteristics, or you don’t have time for this, you can always contact us. We will be pleased to select the best option for your personal needs!