Optimum as a service provider has been making clients happy for years. They service both the home and business environments and ensure that you get the best options for your needs.
Providing network coverage on the new Wi-Fi 6 platform you will get the most out of your modem in terms of network coverage, speed of transmission, and data usage.
Choosing a modem that suits your needs can become complicated if you are not a fey with all the terminology and technology behind the new and improved devices. As if we are not stressed out enough, you need to think about cable ports, the number of channels, the security of your network and so much more.
With the accolades to prove that Optimum will help you ease the decision burden. With this article, we will take the frustration out of the process for you while reviewing the best modems for Optimum.
- BEST MODEM FOR OPTIMUM in 2022
- 1. Amazon Eero Pro Mesh Wi-Fi System – 3 pack – Editor’s Pick
- 2. NETGEAR ORBI BUILT-IN-MODEM AC2200 (CBK40) – People’s First Preference
- 3. ASUS AC1900 WI-FI GAMING ROUTER RT-AC68U – Designed For Efficiency
- 4. MOTOROLA MG7540 AC1600 CABLE MODEM – Speed Is Its Identity
- 5. ARRIS SURFBOARD SBG7580AC DOCSIS 3.0 CABLE MODEM – Known For Performance
- 6. GOOGLE WI-FI SYSTEM 3 PACK WHOLE-HOME COVERAGE NLS-1034-25 – Perfect Choice
- 7. NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK PRO GAMING XR500 WI-FI ROUTER – Best AllRound Pick
- 8. NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK SMART WI-FI ROUTER R6700 – AC1750 – Compatible With Optimum
- 9. NETGEAR C6300-100NAS AC1750 – Best Optimum Compatible Modem
- 10. Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem – Value For Money Pick [Latest Updated Choice]
- 11. ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem + WiFi Router Combo
- SECONDARY FEATURES THAT PROMOTE THE BEST MODEM FOR OPTIMUM
- 1. Is it better to buy or rent a cable modem?
- 2. Is the modem compatible with your ISP?
- 3. Will the new modem support your plan’s speeds?
- 4. Do you need a combined modem router?
- 5. How much does an average Optimum-compatible cable modem cost?
- 6. Where can I buy the best modems for Optimum?
- 7. How many ports are needed on my modem-router combo?
- 8. Which brand makes the best modems for Optimum internet users?
HOW TO GO ABOUT CHOOSING AN OPTIMUM APPROVED ROUTER MODEM
If you are in the market for a modem that gives you access to emails and allows you to keep up to date on Facebook and Instagram, then you do not need multiple ports.
However, if you need a modem that can support more pressure on the system then you need to consider getting gone that has multiple ports for multiples connections.
For high traffic usage and stronger, more reliable connections, look for a modem that supports DOCSIS 3.1 protocols.
- WIRELESS RANGE
There are many technologies today that support longer ranges when it comes to modems and routers. Mesh technology is a fast-growing approach to optimizing your network reach throughout your home.
This technology allows the use of one primary device and on average of two secondary ones to link your Wi-Fi at all corners of your house. This is fantastic for eliminating those dreaded dead zones and ensuring that your connection is strong no matter where you are.
If not Mesh technology, do some research on the range that your potential new router has before you buy it. Also, consider the placement of the device as walls tend to offer interference.
- BEAMFORMING TECHNOLOGY
Routers that do not have Beamforming technology broadcast their signals in all directions in the hopes that a device will be reached.
Beamforming technology will direct the signal to the device is a more focused and reliable approach. It also ensures that the signal strength remains at optimal levels.
This technology will have a few advantages. It will reduce wastage of bandwidth and improve the performance of data-intensive applications such as streaming and gaming.
- DUAL-BAND WI-FI
Dual-Band Wi-Fi routers operate on two different frequencies. 2.4 GHz is a more robust frequency that has less interruption when faced with obstacles such as a wall. 5 GHz frequency is more suited to higher usage applications such as gaming.
A feature called Band Steering will guide older and slower devices to the 2.4 GHz frequency leaving the more hardy requirements to the 5 GHz frequency.
BEST MODEM FOR OPTIMUM in 2022
1. Amazon Eero Pro Mesh Wi-Fi System – 3 pack – Editor’s Pick
Amazon has launched the Eero Pro Mesh system and has taken a different route on the size and design path. Each device is a small white design with rounded corners that is only 2.1 inches tall and 5.3 inches square.
It may be small but it is certainly an Optimum-approved router.
The Eero Pro Mesh 3 pack comes with three identical-looking devices that allow you to have your entire home covered with a mesh network system.
Using multiple devices to increase signal strength and range, the Eero system has the main router and two satellite devices. You no longer need an internet booster or Wi-Fi extender with this ingenious triple pack.
CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY
The Eero Pro Mesh Wi-Fi system has upped the ante with its technology from its predecessors. The device now has the capability of giving you a 6000 square feet range thanks to the three nodes in the pack.
The app for this app also provides excellent support to monitor and control your devices.
One of the biggest advantages of the Eero Pro is its easy installation. All you need to do is plug it in and let it do the rest for you.
It seamlessly finds and connects your devices between the base and the beacons allowing you to move around and have connectivity anywhere in your home.
- Range: 6000 square feet
- LAN Ports: 2 per device
- Bands: 2.4, 5, 5.8 GHz
- Processor: 700 MHz quad-core
- The guide allows for exceptionally easy installation and setup.
- Automatic connection to create a wireless mesh network.
- Allows for gaming, streaming, and browsing from anywhere in your home. This system fits well with the Optimum Premier TV plan.
- Achieves internet speeds of 550 Mbps.
- World-class security protocols with exclusivity to WPA2 compatible devices.
- Coverage range is not compromised when it comes to reliable internet at great speeds.
- The device would have been enhanced with a smart speaker or home sound system function but it has no speakers, amplifiers, or microphones.
2. NETGEAR ORBI BUILT-IN-MODEM AC2200 (CBK40) – People’s First Preference
If you are looking to skip the modem rental space then Mesh technology is the way to go. Mesh Wi-Fi allows you the freedom to enjoy coverage within a vast range eliminating dead spots.
As a bonus, this Optimum compatible modem is smart home compatible meaning you can link your security camera and other accessories to it and have remote control from anywhere.
TRIPPLE BAND WIFI
This modem/router combination has a local Wi-Fi bandwidth topping speeds of up to 2.2 Gbps on 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz bands.
The range that this bandwidth is 4000 square feet which gives you a nice amount of confidence to be at any point in your home and still have connectivity.
The Orbi app displays incredibly easy functionality and understanding. It provides a simple platform from which you can create guest users, perform speed tests on the network, and add parental controls.
That being said, the traffic meter capabilities are not as extensive, allowing you only to “Enable”, show “Averages” and “Totals”
Channel bonding is when your traffic is split over multiple internet connections. Combined with MU-MIMO technology which allows multiple concurrent device connections, and Beamforming technology which directs the signal to your phone avoiding interference, you will have the best signal at the fastest speed over the best range.
Win-win no matter where you are.
- Range: 4000 square feet
- LAN Ports: 4 on the modem, 2 on the satellite device
- Bands: 2.4, and two 5 GHz
- Processor: 1.4 GHz
- Seamless connectivity with Wi-Fi mesh technology enhancing range and is perfectly suited to the Optimum on-demand plan.
- Eliminates dead zones with 4000 square foot coverage.
- Multiple device connectivity with MU-MIMO
- Uninterrupted service regardless of multiple device connections
- Orbi app allows for easy setup and maintenance of the network.
- Channel bonding gives you up to 1.4 Gbps download speed.
- The app functionality is not advanced.
- The device is not future-proof with DOCSIS 3.0 technology where competitors are implementing DOCSIS 3.1.
3. ASUS AC1900 WI-FI GAMING ROUTER RT-AC68U – Designed For Efficiency
Following the hugely successful RT-AC66U, the ASUS AS68U has been breaking even more ground with its upgraded chipset, funky design, and processing power.
Its textured finish repels dust and fingerprints and the router stands upright. Let’s take a deeper look and see if this is the best router for Optimum.
Using its proprietary TurboQAM, the AC68U is installed with the Broadcom BCM409 chip. The TurboQAM enhances the functionality of the 2.4 GHz band.
Another addition is the dual-core processor with 256MB of DDR3 RAM. This will boot the device up faster and curb lagging with heavy data traffic flows. One USB port has also been upgraded to USB 3.0.
The Asus RT-AC68U can be reset wirelessly which is a great feature. You are also able to switch off the LED indicator lights if they are distracting or lighting up your room too much at night.
Although the device lacks MU-MIMO technology, it supports Beamforming protocols that allow you to focus your signal strength anywhere you need it most.
We all like to say the setup is easy but in this case, it’s a synch. The most challenging part of the setup was entering the IP address into the browser so that you can enter the SSID and password.
From here setting up QoS, content restrictions, and parental controls such as “no internet” to cut off connectivity at certain times.
- Range: 3000 square feet
- LAN Ports: 4 LAN ports
- Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
- Processor: Dual-Core CPU
- ASUS Router App allows device management from anywhere without needing to start a PC.
- LED light ON/ OFF switch.
- Amplified 3 x 3 antenna setup for stronger more stable connectivity.
- Beamforming technology directs the signal to your devices.
- AiMesh creates a whole-home system giving you central control and seamless roaming.
- Does not have MU-MIMO to handle a multitude of device connections.
- Has no access to settings through the cloud.
4. MOTOROLA MG7540 AC1600 CABLE MODEM – Speed Is Its Identity
Motorola is a brand that brings innovation and quality to its products. The MG7540 is no exception to this trend. This modem is stirring up the competition with its trendy matt finish and DOCSIS 3.0 protocols.
The MG7540 operates on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and is arguably the best modem for Optimums 500 cable plan.
The MG7540 is a neat little feature where you can blacklist certain devices using their URL address. In a few short steps on the browser, you can block any unwanted sites from accessing your network.
You can also set up a time-sensitive blacklist where you block certain sites during specific times enhancing your parental controls over content viewed.
DFS Frequencies are designed to prevent interference within the frequency that it operates. Simply put it will ensure that your neighbor’s Wi-Fi does not interfere with yours.
Coupled with AnyBeam beamforming technology on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies, the signal that you receive will be focussed and strong over a larger area.
Motorola has equipped this modem with DoS, Double SPI, and NAT firewall protection. It allows guest network users to log in on an independent network.
The parental controls allow you to monitor the usage of the network and restrict access to sites that are content-sensitive. The browser allows for easy use with a straightforward menu to follow.
- Range: 3000 square feet
- LAN Ports: 4 LAN ports
- Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
- Processor: Dual-Core CPU
- Supports latest internet protocols with IPv4 AND IPv6.
- Comes with a two-year warranty.
- Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Full-Band Capture tuner for high data velocities and solid connection.
- DFS Frequencies prevent interruption from other nearby signals.
- Multiple device connections.
- The cable modem does not have a telephone jack to support voice phone calls and cannot be used for making or receiving calls.
5. ARRIS SURFBOARD SBG7580AC DOCSIS 3.0 CABLE MODEM – Known For Performance
In this day and age, we rely on our network providers to keep us connected with the latest technology and functionality. We rely on speed to run our gaming consoles and to stream and we rely on stability to allow us to work.
The Arris ABG7580AC has all this and more making it a prime modem for Optimums Core TV plan.
THREE FOR ONE
The SBG780-AC is a three-for-one unit. It’s fitted with an extremely fast modem rated at 1.7 Gigabits, followed by a 1300 Mbps dual-band wireless router and a Gigabit Ethernet Switch to hard-wire any computer to your network.
Utilizing the DOCSIS 3.0 protocols, you will get three times the speed of the DOCSIS 2.0.
Wireless networks run on two frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. 2.4 GHz is capable of withstanding interference such as walls with less degradation and 5 GHz yields a higher throughput.
Using both these frequencies on one device can theoretically triple your throughput. This means you will experience a vast improvement in speed and connectivity.
The SBG7580-AC is equipped with the best channel bonding technology. Bonding aggregates both upstream and downstream channels to improve your speed.
This means your device is working hard to provide speeds faster than what your ISP can offer with the 32 individual download channels and 8 upload channels are working cohesively.
- Range: Powerful High-Gain Wi-Fi
- LAN Ports: 4 LAN ports
- Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
- Processor: Dual-Core
- Backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n.
- The online gaming platform is high-performance and has HD multi-media streaming.
- Wi-Fi pairing button.
- Compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7 Service pack, Mac 10.4 or higher, UNIX, and Linux.
- Plug and play setup makes installation and set up easy.
- Auto Negotiate produces flexible and reliable connectivity.
- Unless you require a modem that can support speeds of 200 Mbps this modem would be overkill and wasteful on your network.
6. GOOGLE WI-FI SYSTEM 3 PACK WHOLE-HOME COVERAGE NLS-1034-25 – Perfect Choice
Have you ever had that experience where you are holding your phone up to the sky in the hopes that your Wi-Fi signal will improve but no matter where you go it doesn’t?
Well, those days may just be over with the Google Wi-Fi system. Now you can have the benefit of coverage in your home no matter where you are.
Moreover, this modem is not just compatible with Optimum, in fact, it’s considered as one of the best modems for centurylink as well. Yeah, it’s so solid in terms of performance that you’ll find its mention all over everywhere in almost every networking forum.
Google Wi-Fi is the new router you have been looking for. It comes with three units that work together to ensure that your entire house has the seamless coverage you need.
You can connect with multiple devices for streaming, browsing, working, and gaming without being let down by dead zones. This router works well with the Premier TV plan from Optimum.
When you have children in the house who just will not put their consoles down to come and eat dinner, the Google app will help.
With this app, you can press pause and interrupt the network connection. You can also see which devices are online prioritized, and which devices have better performance.
Network assist is a neat feature that will automatically steer you away from congested signals by transitioning your device to a closer, less busy signal for better functionality.
If you do not enjoy trying to constantly figure out what your router is up to, Network Assist will do that too. It takes care of the all complex settings behind the scenes for you.
- Range: 4500 square feet
- LAN Ports: 1 LAN, 1 WAN ports per unit
- Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
- Processor: Quad-core ARM CPU
- Stylish white design with a silver band.
- Setup and installation are easy and do not take too much time.
- The mobile app is user-friendly and easy to operate.
- Whole-home coverage removes dead zones.
- Replaces your current router and is compatible with most network providers.
- Every time the signal is extended via a wireless connection some signal loss occurs and the speed capability drops.
7. NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK PRO GAMING XR500 WI-FI ROUTER – Best AllRound Pick
When choosing an Optimum-approved modem you need to factor in what its core function will be. If that’s gaming then specs such as speed and stable connection come into play.
However, conference calls and streaming require a certain level of functionality as well. The XR500 is this and more.
Let’s take a moment to talk about design. The XR500 is beautiful for lack of a better word. It looks like a battleship and when the LED lights come on, it’s fierce and formidable.
The wedge-shaped design and angles in front give it an appealing look that begs to be displayed. Four dual-band antenna line the back completing the formidable feel.
The browser features NetDuma’s DumaOS gaming software. Geofilter ensures that you connect to a server nearby by setting up a radius around your location.
Netgear recommends setting a radius of 311 to 1864 miles for best results. This feature is compatible with console games such as PS4 and XBOX One.
One of the QoS settings called Anti-Bufferbloat allows you to limit the bandwidth of non-gaming devices. These devices can be set to be limited at all times, or only when gaming is taking place.
A slider bar can set the percentage non-gaming devices can use, the recommended percentage is 70%
- Range: Larger homes
- LAN Ports: 4 LAN, 1 WAN, 2 USB 3.0
- Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
- Processor: 1.7 GHz
- Wi-Fi signal focus directs the signal to smartphones and tablets from the wireless router.
- Automatic Signal Management runs checks with your devices to ensure signal strength is maintained.
- Quad stream maximizes the Wi-Fi band with up to four data streams per Wi-Fi.
- Gaming traffic prioritization allows the allocation of bandwidth per device.
- Four high-performance external antennas.
- The system does not come with an app which means no remote access is available.
- Not compatible with all PC games.
8. NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK SMART WI-FI ROUTER R6700 – AC1750 – Compatible With Optimum
Buying a router can be as personal a choice to you as what buying a car is. Style, color, speed, performance, there are all factors that you consider.
Netgear never compromises on the other features bringing you routers in different shapes with different but equally impressive functionality.
The last thing you need is for your router to go flying off the shelf and breaking. The AC1750 has little rubber feet at the bottom to secure it to the surface and avoid all that pain.
It also has slots underneath that allow it to on mounted to the wall for safekeeping, especially with kids running around.
Most routers make the room look like a spaceship is landing at night. Luckily the AC1750 has an option to turn off the LED light indicators for less distraction and nighttime glow.
Indicating a host of functions these lights will show power, guest users, internet functionality, wireless bandwidths, and more.
Most of us have an average of ten devices that can connect to Wi-Fi. Tablets, Smartphones, gaming consoles, telephones, and laptops to mention a few.
The Netgear Nighthawk R6700 can connect up to 25 devices concurrently without compromising on performance and its coverage is extended up to 1500 square feet.
- Range: 1500 square meters
- LAN Ports: 4 LAN, 1 WAN, 1 USB 3.0
- Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
- Processor: 1 GHz
- Prioritized bandwidth to enhance gaming and streaming runs compatibly with Optimums Core TV plan.
- Airtime fairness stops slower devices from causing lag.
- Free automatic backups with compatible devices.
- Speed and signal reliability are boosted with Beamforming+.
- High-powered antennas and amplifiers for extended range.
- Separate and secure guest network access.
- The 2 GHz band displayed a surprisingly lower throughput speed than expected when placed under pressure.
- Large unit for mounting on the wall.
9. NETGEAR C6300-100NAS AC1750 – Best Optimum Compatible Modem
Having an Optimum-approved modem is no small feat. This combo device has some of the best technologies packed into a slim but efficient design.
The outer casing design is unique sporting a definitive triangular theme. Small triangle cutouts along the side of the casing provide airflow through the device to promote cooling.
When your phone is battling to connect or open a browsing page, it’s not always the phone that is outdated, sometimes the internet is too.
The Netgear AC1750 is capable of reaching a speed of up to 680 Mbps. DOCSIS 3.0 protocols provide nearly 16 times faster speed than the 2.0.
RANGE AND RELIABILITY
The last thing you want is to walk from the kitchen to your bedroom and lose signal. The AC1750 covers a broad range giving you the freedom to roam.
This modem router also comes with a feature called Simultaneous Dual-Band allows for multiple concurrent connections with a significant decrease in interference.
DNLA or Digital Living Network Alliance is the ability for multiple connected devices to find and play content through compatible game consoles and TVs.
ReadySHARE allows you to access your USB device that is connected to the router-modem and share the contents with other users. This makes file transfer a lot faster and easier to do.
Moreover, it don’t need your connection to be a fiber optic connection only, yeah, it’s flexible for DSL connections as well and hence many experts count on it when someone ask for a recommendation of value for money DSL modems on the market.
- Range: Larger homes
- LAN Ports: 4 LAN, 1 WAN, 1 USB 2.0
- Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
- Processor: 600 MHz Puma 6
- A great range for Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home.
- Easy installation with push and connect function that connects devices to the Wi-Fi.
- Separate and secure guest network access.
- Lag-free streaming for multiple devices.
- Double firewall protection with NAT firewall and SPI.
- The Manual is not user-friendly and does not provide enough information on the usage instructions for the device.
10. Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem – Value For Money Pick [Latest Updated Choice]
When it comes to Modem connections for Optimum, Motorola has time and time outdone their quality of products. However, the Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is an option worth considering, especially for its compatibility functions and features.
The device is comparatively smaller but stands out in terms of the overall performance and responsive functions.
The bestselling feature of this cable modem has to be the high-end internet speed. The multi-gigabit speed tiers are not just responsive but one of a kind, something that translates well with the connectivity and the consistent data transfer functions.
The built-in DOCSIS 3.0 and DOCSIS 3.1 capabilities of the modem further translate to uninterrupted performance and higher internet speed.
COST SAVVY GADGET
If you are one of those people who don’t want to spare their money on the rental devices, including the routers and modems, this is a good option worth considering. It can help you reduce up to 168 dollars in the rental fees for the modem.
The modem is approved by Comcast Xfinity and isn’t compatible with RCN. Also, the no cable modem is compatible with fiber optic or DSL, so make sure you are aware of that too.
FLEXIBILITY IN COMPATIBILITY
Another feature of the device that makes it stand out from the rest is flexible compatibility and easy installation features. It comes with easy compatibility functions with whole home Wi-Fi and other mesh routers, so you don’t have to go out of your way.
ACTIVE QUEUE MANAGEMENT
Unless you are tech-savvy, you possibly wouldn’t know about AQM. This reduces the internet latency, ensuring superior connectivity and faster page loading speeds without any kinds of delays in the process. So, if you are considering looking for a highly acclaimed device, this is the one.
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: 7.25 x 2.25 x 7.88 inches
- Brand: Motorola
- LAN ports: 2
- Faster installation
- Multi-gigabit speed tiers
- Superior network security
- Easy compatibility
- Affordable for all.
- Provides better efficiency even in large homes.
- Not compatible with RCN
When it comes to making DOCSIS-based cable modems for ISPs that provide a cable-based internet access, ARRIS is totally the top player in the markets. The company makes some of the best cable modems out there, and the ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300 is an outstanding example of that. This is a cable modem + WiFi router combo, which gives you an added benefit as you don’t have to buy an additional router.
Lets talk design first, unlike the usual box-like ARRIS routers that we are used to seeing, this one has a somewhat more triangular shape and looks rather sleek compared to those older devices. The built-in WiFi router gives you access to dual-band WiFi networks, which is great for people who want to use it for a 2-3 BHK household. In addition to that, another major benefit of using this modem+router combo is that it is compatible with almost every cable-based ISP in the US – including Optimum. This is one of the best Optimum compatible modems out there. However, make sure you are getting it only for your cable-based ISP as it doesn’t work for DSL or Fiber-based networks.
This is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that works on a 32×8 channel setup along with a 2 upstream x 2 downstream OFDM channel layout. Talking of the built-in router, the device features a Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band WiFi router. On the back of this modem-router combo, you can find 4 Gigabit ethernet ports. Apart from these ports, there’s a port for the coax cable, as well as a main power-port. USB ports, however, are missing from this modem-router combo. This device is good for cable internet plans up to 4Gbps in speed. Also keep in mind that his modem does not support cable digital voice services.
Another thing that really works well for this modem/router duo is that this is a device that can be controlled using a mobile application. The SURFboard Manager app allows you to control it with ease. Furthermore, you can also add SURFboard skills to your Alexa network and control it with just your voice. Setting up this device is also rather easy and beginner friendly. It could be done in just a few clicks and you don’t really need to possess a lot of technical know-how in order to get things going. Lastly, Arris as a brand is rather well-reputed for its customer support as well.Specifications:
- Range: Unspecified
- LAN Ports: 4 Ethernet Ports
- Bands: Dual-Band
- Processor: Unspecified
- A better shaped device compared to most other ARRIS modems
- Built-in WiFi is always a major plus
- DOCSIS 3.1 frameworks support speeds up to 10x faster than DOCSIS 3.0
- Compatible with almost every cable-based ISP in the US
- No USB ports
SECONDARY FEATURES THAT PROMOTE THE BEST MODEM FOR OPTIMUM
- POWER BUTTON
I know it seems random to require a power button on a device but most modems traditionally don’t have one. You have to pull out the power cable to reboot it or switch it off.
It may seem like a small thing but it’s a convenient one. Look for that power button to give you some peace of mind that the next time you need to reboot you don’t have to get lost in wires.
- TRAFFIC METER
Today’s world is controlled by statistics. How much data do we use, even more important, how much is left? Who is using it all? Which apps are responsible for data usage?
With a data meter, you can monitor and manage usage and get helpful little messages that alert you when you are approaching your data ceiling. An added benefit is that you will save on unnecessary charges when your data runs out and different billing options kick in.
- GUEST ACCESS AND PARENTAL CONTROLS
When guests require access to your network you do not know whether or not their devices will affect yours. You must be able to give guest users their own network connection without compromising your primary network.
Gaming today is a massive industry that keeps your kids up at all hours. Parental controls on your router will allow you to restrict usage times and set limitations on the content that can be viewed giving you peace of mind.
Some routers even allow you to pause or switch off access at times such as dinner or bedtime.
HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR ROUTER MODEM
There are only a few things that need to be considered for your router’s maintenance. Let’s take a look.
- SUN AND HEAT STROKE
As a norm routers run at a pretty decent heat due to them working overtime so that we can enjoy their benefits. It is important not to crowd them with “stuff”. Papers, computer boxes that emit heat, cloths, and any other items that may cover them causing them to overheat.
Just as important is the fact that they do not like the sun. Router modems need to be kept out of direct sunlight. Not only does it cause them to heat faster but it also deteriorates the pretty casings that they are housed in.
Dust is the most common reason that a router can start to act up. Their outer cases are designed to repel dust for this very reason.
Dust can get into the hardware of the device and cause problems. We recommend that you wipe your modem off regularly with a dust cloth or a damp (not wet) cloth to remove dust.
You can also tilt it to the side and blow in the vents to dislodge any dust particles that have accumulated there.
- STORAGE WARS
If for any reason you would like to put your device away for some time, perhaps you are going away, you need to store it correctly to ensure that when you need it again it works like new.
Dry lubricant spray can be purchased to spray on all the internal mechanics to ensure that they are clean and not seizing up.
Store the device in a cool dry and dust-free place. Remember to roll the cable up loosely so as not to create any kinks or break the connections. Once you have conquered all this, happy holidays.
1. Is it better to buy or rent a cable modem?
You need to consider the circumstances surrounding this decision. If you have a service package with an ISP and plan on maintaining it for longer than a year it may be better to buy a modem. It may not seem like it, but you will save money in the long term.
Also, if you do end up changing service types, you can sell the old unit and get some cash back.
2. Is the modem compatible with your ISP?
This is a very important question to answer. Don’t go out and just buy a modem. First, find out about compatibility with the ISP you utilize. You can usually log onto their website to view which devices are compatible.
It’s always better to look twice and buy once just to be sure.
3. Will the new modem support your plan’s speeds?
If you buy a mode that is not compatible with the speeds that your plan offers you will end up with lag and potentially other issues.
Conversely, if you have a slow-speed plan, there is no point buying a lighting fast modem unless you are also planning on upgrading the plan.
DOCSIS 3.0 protocols will offer download speeds of up to 340 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 130 Mbps. There are also channels to consider, the more channels the faster the modem.
4. Do you need a combined modem router?
These days most devices display dual functions of both the router and the modem. A small benefit is that it removes the need for one device and has less cable mess to deal with.
With every up, there is a down. Combination devices limit your flexibility. When one breaks you cannot replace just that part of it, you need to replace the device.
Consider your budget and find the combo device that serves you best.
5. How much does an average Optimum-compatible cable modem cost?
Cable modems come in different price brackets – with some of them under $100 to others going north of $400. However, considering average usage (nothing bare bones but nothing too fancy either), you can find some of the best Optimum compatible modems priced between $120 to $220. This includes both, pure modems as well as those modems that come with built-in WiFi support. While this is the retail price for these devices, you can actually find some of them available at discounted prices online.
6. Where can I buy the best modems for Optimum?
Optimum’s internet connection needs a cable modem to work well. The internet comes to you via a coaxial cable – and the modem that you will be buying needs to have a coax cable port else it will not work. Cable modems are rather common and can be found at pretty much any store that sells network equipment. You can walk into any store and buy them with ease. However, if you want to select from a broader range of options – you might want to check out the Amazon web store, where you can select from a larger list, as well as get better deals and discounts.
7. How many ports are needed on my modem-router combo?
Having a minimum of four ports is recommended because there are just so many devices that might require a wired connection. A network printer, gaming console, a desktop computer, TV, etc. Besides that, having four LAN ports also gives you the freedom to host LAN parties and play games with your friends on a stable internet connection. Besides the regular LAN ports, you might also want to check out the USB ports on your modem/router duo, because USB ports allow you to do much more, like share and stream content wirelessly over the network.
8. Which brand makes the best modems for Optimum internet users?
The top three names in the cable modem business are certainly Arris, Motorola and Netgear. These are three of the most dependable and trustworthy brands out there. However, they aren’t the only brands – because there are dozens of smaller players too who make some really good modems. We recommend you to give a fair shot to all of them, but if you’re in a hurry, you know who the top three brands are!
For us, the clear winner is the Nighthawk XR500 The design of this router is almost sexy with its angular front and impressive grills. Complimenting this is the lights that come on when the router is up and running,
When it comes to software there is no shortcut for the Nighthawk AR500. Using a system that was developed by Netduma called DUMAOS, the focus lies with monitoring your resources, allocating bandwidth to devices based on application and network prioritization.
But wait, there is more. This snazzy router has Geo-Filter which significantly reduces lag times by managing and limiting the distance to the server you are operating from. You can set a range limit that will find the servers closest to you so that you can enjoy lag-free gaming and streaming.
You are even able to optimize gameplay with QoS by limiting the percentages of bandwidth dedicated to each connected device. When traffic flow becomes a bottleneck, you can allocate levels of importance based on the application being used.
All in all the Nighthawk XR500 is the best router for Optimum complimenting your network requirements and giving you the freedom to game, stream, and work without breaking a sweat.